How do I know if I am infested or bitten by mites?

If you believe you are infested or bitten by mites, you should schedule an evaluation by a clinician. Dermatologists are best equipped to examine, diagnose and prescribe treatments, as appropriate. In some cases, they may take a skin scraping or biopsy for microscopic evaluation. Treatments to a person for infesting mites should be limited to those prescribed by a physician, and ideally on the basis of objective findings. Physicians are encouraged to contact us for guidance and help with mite identification.

If mites or mite-like creatures are discovered in the home, office or elsewhere, these should be sampled for microscopic evaluation and identification. IdentifyUS is pleased to assist with such specimen evaluations. Refer to our guidance on sampling and submitting mite specimens. 

Chigger bites

Bites on a foot from the Harvest mite Trombicula alfreddugesi

By TimVickers (Own work) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

© 2022-2024, IdentifyUS, LLC  •   Needham, MA  02494